11001 W. 120th Ave
Law Office of Jack Hobaugh
Broomfield, CO 80021
Other URL http://www.hobaughlaw.com
Jack L Hobaugh Jr. Esq.
CISSP, CIPT, CIPP/US, CIPP/E, CCSP (in progress), DBA
11001 W. 120thAve. Suite 400
Broomfield, CO 80021
E-mail: email@example.com • Phone: (720) 874-9559
Georgetown University Law Center Washington, DC
Master of Laws in Taxation May 2016
Honors and Awards: Cali Excellence for the Future Award: Special Topics in State & Local Tax.
The George Washington University Law School Washington, DC
Master of Laws in Intellectual Property May 2012
University of Denver Sturm College of Law Denver, CO
Juris Doctor, Order of St. Ives May 2007
GPA: 3.77 (class rank: # 1).
Honors and Awards: Graduation Awards: Melanie Hardaway Memorial Award for Outstanding Graduate; Civil Rights and Disabilities Clinical Practice Award; Arnold P. Chutkow Award. American Jurisprudence Award for Torts, Trial Practice, ADR, and Lawyering Process; University of Denver Reese Persuasive Writing Award Finalist.
Activities: Symposium Editor, Denver University Law Review; Successfully represented a Supermax inmate on a First Amendment matter (D. Colo., No. 02-CV-01239-MSK-PAC); Moot Court: First place-DU Negotiation Competition; ABA Regional Negotiations Team; Second place-DU Client Counseling Competition; ABA Regional Client Counseling Team; National & ABA Moot Court Appellate Teams; SBA Student Senator; Honor Board; Summer Preparatory Program Teacher’s Assistant; LexisNexis Associate.
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, MD
Master of Science, Computer Science/Software Engineering May 1990
University of Maryland, European Division-University College Germany
Bachelor of Arts, German Studies May 2002
Lebanon Valley College Annville, PA
Bachelor of Science, Biology May 1978
Law Office of Jack Hobaugh, LLC Broomfield, CO
Cybersecurity/Technology/Privacy/Mediation Attorney July 2018 – Present
Self-Employed Annandale, VA
Patent Attorney November 2015 – June 2018
· Local EDVA counsel for APA case versus the USPTO
· Drafted software development and non-disclosure agreement provisions
· Wrote software patent applications
· Responded to USPTO office actions
· Provided analysis and arguments against institution of Inter PartesReview
· Conducted freedom to operate analysis.
United States Patent and Trademark Office Alexandria, VA
Patent Examiner September 2014 – October 2015
· Examined patents in art unit # 2177 (Document Processing).
Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) Washington, DC
Privacy Counsel April 2014 – September 2014
· Represented NAI members in the World Wide Web Consortium and Digital Advertising Alliance Do-Not-Track forums
· Organized and led the Privacy Enhancing Technologies industry workshop
· Conducted NAI Code member compliance reviews for Interest-Based and Cross-App advertising
· Counseled NAI on new and developing Internet advertising technologies
· Counseled NAI on Intellectual Property matters.
Cooley LLP Reston, VA
IP Litigation/Privacy Associate February 2011 – April 2014
· Litigated software, video compression and VoIP patents
· Evaluated patent pool licenses and patent portfolios
· Represented smart phone manufacturer before the FTC regarding operating system vulnerabilities
· Provided post-data breach counseling and notification.
Blank Rome LLP Washington, DC
IP Litigation Associate (also 2006 Summer Associate) January 2009 – February 2011 & September 2007 – December 2007
· Wrote and counseled on patent appeals before the Federal Circuit
· Litigated automotive and computer-related patents
· Prosecuted patent applications across multiple technologies
· Counseled on software copyright and licensing
· Represented pro bono client in mediation and trial leading to a favorable mid-trial settlement
· Prepared tax returns through the DC EITC program
· Counseled walk-in clients in the Washington Area Lawyers for the Arts Artomatic Legal Clinic and the DC Bar Small Business Clinic.
United States District Court District of Utah Salt Lake City, UT
Law Clerk for Chief Judge Tena Campbell January 2008 – December 2008
· Researched, analyzed, and bench-briefed dispositive motions
· Provided trial and hearing support
· Drafted memoranda and orders per Judge Campbell’s direction.
Level 3 Communications, LLC Broomfield, CO
Director Softswitch Architecture/Senior Engineer October 1999 – March 2006
· Managed a team of 12 engineers
· Designed solutions for VoIP, local number portability, enhanced-911, and FCC CALEA
· Drafted and negotiated complex technical contracts with vendors.
Booz-Allen & Hamilton, Inc. Germany, Kuwait, Egypt, Jordan, Brazil & McLean, VA
Associate May 1990-December 1990 & June 1993 – October 1999
· Designed and implemented complex databases
· Wrote and implemented IT and telecommunications proposals
· Served as Booz-Allen U.S. Embassy liaison in Kuwait
· Oracle Certified Professional Developer and DBA; Novell CNE
· Adjunct computer science faculty: University of Maryland Overseas Division (Germany & Kuwait).
RDA Logicon; Titan Systems Frankfurt, Germany
Senior Software Engineer January 1991 – May 1993
· Lead software engineer for war-gaming simulations.
McDonnell Douglas Electronic Systems McLean, VA
Software Engineer June 1988 – May 1990
· Lead developer on classified military software projects.
EG&G Inc. Department of Energy Remote Sensing Laboratory, Andrews Air Force Base, Washington, DC
Project Scientist November 1980 – June 1988
· 1984-1987: temporary assignment with Defense Nuclear Agency J4/7 HQEUCOM, Stuttgart, Germany
· Led teams for airborne radiological surveys and the Nuclear Emergency Search Team (NEST)
· Led coordinated operations with the White House, FBI, NRC, DOD, and FEMA.
SAI Nuclear Environmental Services Three Mile Island, PA
Additional Professional Services